Trip Region: Western & Central Asia
Partners Trek? No
Trip Cost: $1535
Airfare Estimate: $1100
Nightlife: 3 • Activity: 2
Start off your Ross experience in Turkey, a land truly at the crossroad of civilizations, with Shish Kebaby One More Time, an MTrek melding breathtaking culture and staggering nightlife. We begin in Istanbul, the ‘Gateway Between East and West,’ exploring historical wonders, such as the famous Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque, dynamic bazaars, including the Grand Bazaar itself, an epic nightlife scene, a banging Bosphorus booze cruise, and scrumtrulescent foodstuffs that manage to tickle all five senses. Nightly doner runs are just the beginning. After getting our fill of the ordered chaos that is all at once a modern metropolis, historical remnant, and pulsing national hub, we leave the city for the historical and natural wonders of Antalya, where we will explore Greek and Roman ruins, a Middle Age castle, spectacular cascades, and one of the finest silky smooth, white sand beaches in Eurasia. And take another boat trip, because why not? After replenishing our tans, and further bonding night-bus style, we head off to balloon our way over Cappadocia, and traverse the World Heritage-listed Goreme monastic complex and structurally impressive ‘Love Valley.’ With Vietnam, Cuba, and Ireland MTrek veterans taking the lead, you’re guaranteed to be in capable hands for your first formative experience of the next two years.
Day 1 — Saturday, Aug 29
First night in Istanbul - Check into hotel, grab a Turkish dinner, and relax a bit after the long flight.
Day 2 — Sunday, Aug 30
Tour with guides to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the Grand Bazaar. Free time for the rest of the day.
Day 3 — Monday, Aug 31
Free day to visit other sights in the city as well as take some time on the Bosphorus. End our time in Istanbul with a night out at the legendary Club Reina.
Day 4 — Tuesday, Sep 01
Short morning flight to Antalya where we nurse our hangovers at the Duden waterfall and relax on the beach.
Day 5 — Wednesday, Sep 02
Day trip to Phaselis, boat trip from Demre with lunch, and Simena Castle tour. End the day with some more beach time and late night shenanigans for Sydney's birthday!
Day 6 — Thursday, Sep 03
Light day to relax in the Antalya Old Town and spend our final day on the beach before we head to Cappadocia via overnight bus.
Day 7 — Friday, Sep 04
Visit the World Heritage Open Air Museum, walk through the Love Valley, enjoy a Turkish bath, eat a home-cooked meal with a local family, and experience a whirling dervish performance.
Day 8 — Saturday, Sep 05
Early morning hot air balloon ride to watch the sunrise and we're off to catch our plane back to AA!
Sydney "Ice Princess" Lewis
Ice Princess: \sydney-lewis\ (noun)
1. Always freezing and in need of another jacket/pair of pants
2. Former teacher and Bill Nye the Science Guy protege
3. Dancer of outdated choreography; can teach you how to “dougie”
4. Has a costume ready for any bar crawl or drinking occasion
Andy "Marco Polo" Zhu
Marco Polo: \andy-zhu\ (proper noun)
1. International man of mystery, six continents and counting
2. Sampler of global delicacies; guinea pigs, yum!
3. Watcher of less than classy TV series and stereotypical Asian shows (get at me about Marco Polo on Netflix)
4. Wearer of neutral clothing; favorite colors include black, grey, and black
Carly "Rosey Cheeks" Schaer
Rosey Cheeks: \carly-schaer\ (noun)
1. Perpetually sun-burned/blushing/flushed
2. Retired Cameron Crazie and current BUS crew member (whose arms are too short to effectively climb the BUS ladder)
3. Philly native and converted Oklahomie
4. Owner of the perfect gif, meme, or cute animal photo for any situation
Molly "Wino" Puga
Wino: \molly-puga\ (noun)
1. Former consultant turned wannabe sommelier
2. Indiana native and Peyton Manning’s biggest fan
3. Lover of all things small and furry
4. Frida Kahlo impersonator, conveniently married to a Diego Rivera lookalike
Jeff "Renaissance Man" Gross
Renaissance Man: \jeff-gross\ (noun)
1. One who collect degrees (i.e. Master’s of Art History, Juris Doctor, Bachelors of History)
2. Brunch Extraordinaire and connoisseur of NYPD pizza
3. Avid karaoke fan and next winner of America’s Got Talent
4. Ann Arbor native and Michigan double-dipper